HIGH POWER IN A COMPACT PACKAGE FROM YANMAR’S 6AYEM
YANMAR EUROPE IS PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THE INTRODUCTION OF ITS NEW COMMON-RAIL COMMERCIAL MARINE ENGINE, THE 6AYEM
The new engine is an addition to Yanmar’s range, sitting alongside the mechanical equivalents, the 6AYM and 12AYM. The adoption of common rail technology increases the choice available to customers who are looking for a cleaner engine, which complies with existing IMO/EPA/CCNR emissions limits and offers the capability of meeting future environmental requirements, including IMO Tier III and EPA Tier 4.
The 6AYEM is designed to offer durability in the harsh marine environment, along with easy maintenance and low lifetime costs. Other benefits include low black and white smoke, easy starting, and compact dimensions for an engine of this power output. A wide range of fully-electronic control and monitoring options employ CAN technology and include a real-time fuel consumption display. The favourable power to weight ratio for a commercially-rated engine, high torque and low emissions are achieved through the use of a common rail fuel system with electronically controlled injectors, featuring eight main and four secondary nozzles, together with careful combustion chamber design. Yanmar’s fine manufacturing tolerances and Silicard-finished cylinder liners contribute to durability and reliability.
Key features of the 6AYEM include:
- High output – ratings available from 485kW continuous to 749kW maximum, at 1840 to 2000 rpm.
- Less harm to the environment – the common-rail design, in conjunction with the carefully-matched turbocharger and charge air cooler, offers low exhaust emissions, reduced fuel and lubricating oil consumption, and low noise levels.
- Compact dimensions for a commercially rated engine – 2000mm long, 1306mm wide and 1531mm high, and dry weight (engine only) of 2418kg. For applications where space is particularly limited, a shallow oil pan version is available, with overall height reduced to 1431mm.
- Easy maintenance – all inspection ports are readily accessible, and individual cylinder heads allow pistons to be lifted with the engine in place.
- Low smoke and easy starting – thanks to the common-rail fuel system, and innovative design of combustion chamber and injectors, the 6AYEM offers ultra-reliable starting performance and an absence of both black and white smoke.
- Low noise – the multi-stage fuel injection system reduces noise at idle speed, adding to crew comfort and environmental acceptability.
- High torque throughout the speed range – offering rapid acceleration and smooth operation.
- Simple installation – thanks to straightforward CAN-bus electronic controls.
- Wide range of control and monitoring options - enabling the 6AYEM to meet the requirements of customers and class societies; options include a real-time fuel consumption display.
- Durability and reliability – fine manufacturing tolerances and Silicard cylinder liners reduce lubricating oil consumption and contribute to Yanmar’s legendary durability.
All of these features add up to an engine that offers unrivalled total life cycle value, thanks to its good fuel consumption, easy maintenance and high reliability. Combined with the environmental and safety benefits, and various electronic control options, all of which offer versatility and simplicity of use and installation, Yanmar’s new 6AYEM sets new standards in high-speed marine propulsion.